JOB TITLE: LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (BIOCHEMISTRY, PHYSIOLOGY, PHARMACOLOGY, MICROBIOLOGY AND ANATOMY)
POSITION TITLE: LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (BIOCHEMISTRY, PHYSIOLOGY, PHARMACOLOGY, MICROBIOLOGY AND ANATOMY)
Reporting to: Head of department
Duty station: Biomedical laboratories of KCU Main Campus, Bunga Hill, Kampala
Type of appointment: Three-year renewable contract
Core Functions/ Responsibilities
- Prepares reagents used for practical instructions
- Supports students in the practical and guides them on equipment use and SOPs
- Maintains inventory of laboratory items
- Participates in procurement needs assessment for the laboratory and submit the needs list to the respective heads of department for approval and onward submission.
- Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed
- Train on approved SOPs and ensure compliance to these SOPs
- Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Adhere to bio-safety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
- Organize and operates activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
- Coordinates grading of student practical reports in the parent department.
- Perform regular quality control tests to check equipment efficiency especially for equipments used in research and document results as required
- Participate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs
- Participate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are enough for the anticipated workload.
- Draft schedules and timetables for laboratory activities.
- Ensure that all documents for the laboratories are filled and kept.
- Ensure high standards of hygiene conditions in all the laboratories.
- Supports staff and student research activities going on in the various laboratories
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Laboratory Technology, biotechnology, medical laboratory science, or Biomedical Sciences and from an accredited academic institution of higher learning
- At least two (2) years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in an academic institution of higher learning.
- Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
- Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performances
- Good awareness of the role of practical in training of health workers
- Optimum use of resources for quality and efficient practical training for medical students.
- High level of computer literacy
- Ability to prepare clear and concise report.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effective communicate with people of diverse background.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals in the school of medicine.
- Delivering results; produces and delivers results in a service-oriented and timely manner to heads of departments and students; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge; continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovation.
- Accountability; takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.