JOB TITLE: CHIEF LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST
Position Title: CHIEF LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST
Reporting to: Head of department and Dean School of Medicine
Responsible for: All laboratory technologists in the school of medicine
Duty station: Biomedical laboratories of KCU Main Campus, Bunga Hill, Kampala
Type of appointment: Three year renewable contract
Core Functions/ Responsibilities
- The Chief laboratory technologist shall be a member of staff in one of the six laboratories in the biomedical and pathology sections of the school of medicines of King Ceasor University.
- The Chief laboratory technologist shall coordinate activities in all the laboratories as approved by the respective heads of departments. These activities shall include student practical learning experiences, student and academic staff laboratory research experiences, and any other activity approved by HODs.
- Co-ordinate procurement needs assessment in all laboratories in the biomedical and pathology sections of the school of medicine including biochemistry, anatomy, microbiology, pharmacology, physiology and pathology laboratories and submits the needs list to the respective heads of departments for approval and onward submission.
- Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed
- Review Laboratory SOPs drafted by the laboratory technologists and liase with unit heads of departments to approve the SOPs
- Train laboratory technicians on approved SOPs and ensure compliance to these SOPs for laboratory uses
- Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Adhere to bio-safety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
- Organize and operates activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
- Coordinates grading of student practical reports in the parent department.
- Supervise or Perform quality control activities for the various laboratories and document results as required
- Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs
- Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are enough for the anticipated workload.
- Draft schedules and timetables for laboratory activities.
- Ensure that all documents for the laboratories are filled and kept.
- Ensure high standards of hygiene conditions in all the laboratories.
- Supports staff and student research activities going on in the various laboratories
- Carries out Installation and Operation qualification of newly procured equipment in liaison with the supplier’s technical experts.
- Acknowledges delivery of new items in conjunction with resident technologists in the user unit by signing and witnessing the delivery note from suppliers. Ensures that the delivered goods to the laboratories meet specifications on the proforma invoice.
- Returns the witnessed delivery notes and invoices to the procurement unit for further handling. A copy should be kept in the laboratory files.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree in any Biomedical field and a Bachelor’s degree in Laboratory Technology, biotechnology, medical laboratory science or Biomedical Sciences from an accredited academic institution of higher learning
- At least three (3) years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in an academic institution of higher learning.
- Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
- Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performances
- Good awareness of the role of practical in training of health workers
- Optimum use of resources for quality and efficient practical training for medical students.
- High level of computer literacy
- Ability to work with a complex reporting system involving coordinating activities in several distinct departments.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise report.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with people of diverse background.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals in the school of medicine.
- Delivering results; produces and delivers results in a service-oriented and timely manner to heads of departments and students; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge; continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovation.
- Accountability; takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.